Thursday, May 23, 2013

Here we go again...


Seven years ago I started a handwriting project with my kids.


We did "Letter of the Day" summers in 2006, 2008, and 2010.

And even though they've grown a lot, we're doing it again.


Our letter days are not in alphabetical order. The method we use is from Handwriting Without Tears by Jan Olsen. While our calendar does follow the book exactly, I do try to stick with the author's logical sequence of letters based on how the lower-case letter is formed. For example, first comes "magic C", then O; V is before W, etc.


My first-grader will use Olsen's My Printing Book and Printing Power. (I've set up the product pictures this year so that clicking on the image will take you directly to amazon.com)

My third-grader will be working on his cursive using Writing with Prayer by Michael J. McHugh.


My middle school boys think they are too old for this, but handwriting is essential. I will be working through Fix It Write by Nan Jay Barchowsky along with them.
 


We don't work on a Letter of the Day every day, so please have patience as you follow along. All 26 letter days will happen before school starts!







No comments:

Post a Comment